Powder coating is a very durable method of providing a decorative finish to metals and a range of other materials.
Common Market SectorsCommon market sectors include, Window systems, Conservatory sections, hinges, lighting systems, curtain track and rail, desking systems including office furniture.
Our powder coating facility offers finishing in a variety of colours with RAL, BS or colour matched powders. We are able to powder coat various aluminium components.
Powder coating offers many advantages over other finishes including;
- A wide range of finishes and colours including metallic, glossy, clear and textured. A newer and innovative finish, to resemble an anodised finish is now available, please ask for a sample. As well as being cheaper then anodising, it can produce a more consistent finish and we have a faster turnaround time with this finish than anodised metal.
- Corrosion resistance.
- Powder coating can be applied to most metal components including steel, Zinc, brass and aluminium.
- The durable finish provides a surface finish which is less prone to chipping, marking and scratching.
- Powder coating can be applied to components used internally and externally.
Click here for a list of RAL color matched powders
Powder Coating Aluminium – The ProcessThe powder coating process starts with the metal components being cleaned, which helps the coating to adhere to the metal. This process is carried out in a multistage immersion water tank system as follows;
- A de-greaser and light etch is used to clean the metal after which a two bath rinse cleans it down.
- Next a non chromate bonder is applied to help the powder adhere to the aluminum.
- Finally a drying oven is used to ensure no moisture is present when the items are powder coated.
The components are then suspended from a jig and passed through a spray booth where the powder is applied by spray guns. Once the powder has been applied it is passed through a curing oven where the particles melt and fuse together and adhere to the components surface. This produces a uniform, smooth, durable finish.
ABRALCO uses an automatic continuous chain/conveyor system. Metal is loaded onto the hangars and then passed through the spray guns / curing ovens/coolers. This has a maximum length of 6000mm.
Powder Coating Colors
The list of powder coating colours is vast. Generally we cover all the standard RAL colours. RAL is a colour reference system that was invented in 1927 by Reichsausschuss fur Lieferbedingungen in Germany. While there is a wide choice of standard colours we can also colour match any current corporate colours and produce custom powders.
For further information on powder coating colours please contact us or click here for a list of RAL color matched powders.
Surface FinishThe main finish reflects the gloss level of the final product, usually being Gloss, Satin or Matt. There is also the choice between Flat finish and Metallic.
When choosing metallic powders ABRALCO always use the more expensive bonded powders as this gives a more uniform spread of metallic particles on the end product. If your product requires a metallic finish always ask if the powder is bonded or not.